Sunday, June 19, 2011

Yo Yo Daddy-O

I woke up this morning to the sound of the 'angels bowling' as my dad used to say.  While the sky looks like Dementors could come swooping down at any time, it's cool and the birds are singing.  If the rain stays at bay, we'll have a great time grilling out this Dad's Day (I promise I wasn't trying to rhyme).


Last year we started a tradition of taking over the kitchen at my in-law's house when we created our own take of Giada's Mini Italian Pub Burgers.  My father-in-law is one of those dads who balks at a meal with no meat, but we're going out on a limb today.  In an effort to promote a heart-healthy diet for dad, we're not putting any meat on that grill.  Instead we're making Blue Cheese Stuffed Portabella Burgers (with whole wheat buns, spinach, and grilled red onion rings).  We're also trying out two recipes from the most recent Martha Stewart Living:  Beer-Steamed Potato Hobo Pack and Adobo Peanuts.  I made the peanuts ahead of time and they made the kitchen smell great...my recent sinus issues also ceased for the duration of the bake!


My dad, who basically looks like this, lives in Cincinnati and we're bummed that he can't join in our feast.  We sent him some locally roasted coffee we got at Three Rivers and a homemade card.  Maybe we'll get to take in a baseball game this summer after all, with those terribly delicious ball park nachos and ice cold beer.  Happy Father's Day, Dad...love you!

How do you celebrate your dad?

1 comment:

  1. Love the pic of your dad ;-) you menu sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete