Saturday, June 25, 2011

Karma Korma

Blogging from the public library this lovely Saturday (clear skies!).  We've had some stormy weather (literally and figuratively) and many thousands of people are just now getting their power turned on again.  Friends have also been dealing with tough times too:  the passing of family members, shocking revelations of people they thought they knew, lies, etc.  

Our world got rocked in a different way.  Our sweet home was broken into on Thursday.  They (he/she/it?) took our computer (hence blogging at the library), my husband's camera, some of my family jewelry, and my spare car key.  Another apartment was robbed down the hill from us in the same afternoon.  I'm not feeling so sad about the stuff we lost, just feeling violated.  Trying to reroot, ground, breathe.

I got started on the right foot this morning, however, and had a wonderful massage with my dear friend Beth at Belleza.  I was also encouraged by another friend in my little community.  His offering of wisdom,
It is often difficult to continually remain open especially when we feel our lives have been compromised or that we have been taken advantage of.  I hope that you allow the light you have to continue to shine as bright as ever as you over come this challenge...
So today, I'm serving up some Karma Korma (aka Vegetable Korma).  There will be no pictures (they're gone!) so you'll have to use your imagination or check out the original recipe from Vegetarian Times.  First I followed their recipe to a T and it was delicious--apparently my husband's new favorite.  Then I tweaked...he couldn't taste a difference AND it was cheaper and more nutrient dense.  Instead of fresh tomatoes I used canned, which tend to retain more good stuff (lycopenes!).  I also substituted Greek yogurt for evaporated milk (protein!) and brown rice for white rice (it wins!).

Karma Korma
This dish goes great with garlic naan if you've got it.

1 cup brown rice (long grain or brown basmati)
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
1 small white onion, chunked
3 tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 tbsp olive oil (or canola oil)
1 tsp garam masala
3/4 tsp ground cardamom
4 tbsp golden raisins
1 12oz package (4 cups) frozen mixed vegetables, such as green beans, carrots, peas
1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
Salt & pepper to taste

1.  Cook rice according to package directions (or let your rice cooker handle it).
2.  Puree tomatoes, onion, and ginger to paste in food processor or blender.
3.  Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat.  Add garam masala and cardamom.  Cook 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring constantly.
4.  Add puree mixture and raisins to the saucepan.  Simmer for 2 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
5.  Stir in frozen Greek yogurt and mix well.  Add frozen vegetables, chickpeas, and salt and pepper.  Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 6 to 7 minutes (until vegetables are tender).
6.  Serve over rice and enjoy.

Indian food is my comfort food.  What's yours?

1 comment:

  1. mmm...sounds great. I'm sorry to hear about your week. Sending you some light and love this morning. XOXO.

    ReplyDelete