Monday, February 27, 2012

Philly Cheeseshroom Sandwiches

I just love putting two words together to make a new word.  Froyo (frozen yogurt) and broga (bro yoga) are among my favorites at the moment and this weekend I made cheeseshroom (cheese steak mushroom) courtesy of Cheyenne.

Alas, I made them and they were eaten so furiously by our clan that there was no time for photography.  You will have to use your imagination.  So basically this sandwich is greasy and delicious and has way less cholesterol than a ragler ol' cheese steak sandwich. 

I struggled to find the right kind of bread.  I was initially wanting to go the hoagie roll route, however the hoagie rolls at Kroger all contained either partially hydrogenated soybean oil or high fructose corn syrup.  Since my grandmother would not know what in the world those are, I got some baguettes made with REAL FOOD ingredients.  Food from test tubes...weird unless you're an astronaut eating freeze dried ice cream.

Without further ado:

Philly Cheeseshroom Sandwiches
Tip:  If you have a lot of excess liquid in the pan after the mushrooms are done, drain the pan carefully.  Mushrooms are full of liquid!

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, cut into half moons, layers separated
1 red bell pepper, sliced
4 large portobella mushrooms (18 oz)
2 tsp herb & spice seasoning (or more to taste!)
1 tsp oregano
Baguettes or hoagie rolls (enough for 6-8 sandwiches), toasted
Swiss cheese (one slice per sandwich)
Spicy mustard (optional)

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.  Add onions and saute 2 min.  Add red pepper and saute 2 min more.  Add mushrooms and cover.  Saute until mushrooms reduce and are tender (this could take about 10 min depending on your stove), stirring occasionally.  Season with oregano and herb & spice.  Add more seasoning to taste.

Assemble your sandwich!  I like to put the cheese on top and mustard on the bottom, but do whatever makes you feel sassy.

And just because I feel like you will enjoy a picture (and also because when I googled 'sassy' I found this picture AND it has my name on it)...


What else makes you feel sassy?

No comments:

Post a Comment